Below are the following difference between 2003 and 2008:-
The Windows 2008 is combination of vista and windows 2003r2. There are many new services introduced in windows 2008.
- Read-Only Domain Controllers are of the feature introduced in Server 2008.
- WDS (windows deployment services)is added in windwos 2008 instead of RIS old functionality of 2003 server.
- shadow copy for each and every folders are added in windows 2008.
- boot sequence is also changed in windows 2008.
- Windows 2008 supports 32 bit installation which makes it faster where as 2003 supports 16 as well as 32 bit.
- Each Services are known as role in Windows 2008.
- Group policy editor is a separate option in Active Directory Services of windows 2008.
- The main difference between 2003 and 2008 is Virtualization, management.
2008 has more inbuilt components and updated third party drivers Microsoft introduces new feature with 2k8 that is Hyper-V Windows Server 2008 introduces Hyper-V (V for Virtualization) but only on 64bit versions.
The comparison of windows 2003 and 2008
Many feature are updated - as security , IIS and RODC.
in security it enable outbound firewall as well as inbound, IIS 7 release , Read only Domain controllers.
- Server Core:-Provides the minimum installation required to carry out a specific server role, such as for a DHCP, DNS or print server.
- Better security
- Role-based installation -
- Read Only Domain Controllers (RODC)
- Enhanced terminal services
- Network Access Protection:-Microsoft's system for ensuring that clients connecting to Server 2008 are patched, running a firewall and in compliance with corporate security policies.
- PowerShell:-Microsoft's new(ish) command line shell and scripting language has proved popular with some server administrators.
- Bitlocker:-System drive encryption can be a sensible security measure for servers located in remote branch offices