Below are the following difference between 2000 and 2003:-
- Windows 2003 supports IPV4 and IPV6 but Windows 2000 only Support IPV4.
- Windows 2000 supports 620 group policies but in 2003 can support upto 720 Group Policies so Win2003 server is more secure.
- Windows 2003 Provide ability to rename the domain name but in windows 2000 does support domain rename.
- Windows 2000 give limitation of 10 users to access shared folder but Win2003 does not have any limitation, N Number of users can access any shared resources at same time.
- Windows 2000 supports 8 processors and 64 Gb RAM where Win2003 supports up to 64 processors and max of 512GB RAM.
- Win 2000 Supports IIS 5.0 and 2003 Supports IIS6.0
- Win 2000 doesn't support Dot net whereas 2003 Supports Microsoft .NET 2.0
- Win 2000 has Server and Advance Server editions whereas 2003 has Standard, Enterprise, Datacenter and Web server Editions.
- Win 2000 has basic concept of DFS (Distributed File systems) with defined roots whereas Win 2003 has Enhanced DFS support with multiple roots.
- Windows 2000 has complexity in administering Complex networks whereas 2003 is easy administration in all & Complex networks.
- In 2000 we can create 1 million users and in 2003 we can create 1 billion users.
- Windows 2003 have concept of Volume shadow copy service which is used to create hard disk snap shot which is used in Disaster recovery and 2000 doesn't have this service.
- Windows 2000 don't have end user policy management, whereas in 2003 we have a End user policy management which is done in GPMC (Group policy management console).
- Windows 2000 have cross domain trust relation ship and Win 2003 have Cross forest trust relationship.
- Win 2000 Supports 4-node clustering and 2003 supports 8-node clustering.
- Win 2003 has High HCL Support (Hardware Compatibility List) issued by Microsoft.
- Code name of 2000 is Win NT 5.0 and Code name of 2003 is Win NT 5.1
- Win 2003 has service called ADFS (Active Directory Federation Services) which is used to communicate between branches with safe authentication, in 2000 there is no service like this.
- Win 2003 has telnet sessions available.
- Win 2003 has Improved Print management compared to 2000 server.
- Windows 2003 has improved storage management using service File Server Resource Manager (FSRM).